«

»

Jul 16

Alkaline Batteries: Household Hazard

sick miniature pinscher

Tummy ache

At one time or another, everyone with a Min Pin has thought, “What will it get into next?” One thing I never worried about was alkaline batteries. However, one day I found my Miniature Pinscher, Athena, chewing on one. Luckily, she hadn’t gotten inside the battery yet, but had I not caught her in time, she surely would have.

Batteries are part of our everyday lives, but are, of course, highly toxic. A Min Pin puppy is especially at risk because batteries are the right size, shape, and density to make a good chew toy, it thinks. Combine this with the Min Pin’s acrobatic skills (jumping on tables and counters), and disaster awaits.

According to the Merck Veterinary Manuel, dogs are the species most commonly involved in alkaline battery poisoning. Batteries are both corrosive to the GI tract and pose a foreign body hazard. Check out toxicology information about batteries and other household hazards in the MVM.

Email this to someoneShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>